Oct 28, 2011

Fridays are the best: A single man[2009]


Fridays are the best, that's why, from now on, you'll get to see some of my favorites every Friday!This week: A single man!


Director: Tom Ford
Writer: Tom Ford, David Scearce
Starring: Colin Firth, Julianne Moore, Nicholas Hoult, Matthew Goode

Before the movie even starts, you find out it is directed and produced by Tom Ford, the famous designer. What are your expectations? I thought I was going to see amazing clothes, beautiful sets and elegance. Now, at the end, I can say that I did see those things, but they were so many others that raised the bar even higher.

First of all, I loved the way it was directed. The shots, the specific details that he focused on, the style, all were special and elegant, smooth. I absolutely loved the fact that, whenever George, the main character, saw something that reminded him of the great past or something he loves or admires now, that each moment was captured in amazing colour, bright and full of life. All, in contrast, to the rather dull and grey scenes in his ordinary day that is making him feel miserably and pushes him to suicide.

Tom Ford also shows in a very artistic way the unbereable speed in which time is passing, speed that is slowly killing George. Every moment he is reminded of Jim, his love, with whom he spent 16 years and who, suddenly, died in a car accident. Since that day forward, his life wasn’t the same. It is a story of colours, of smell, touch, hearing.

Second of all, it did have, as you would expect from a fantastic designer, class;  elegance is a key word when I think of Julianne Moore, who portrays Charley, a lonely women who is George’s only friend.  She is a triple threat: beautiful, talented and elegant, and I love her. The dinner scene was very sweet and you can really see the relationship that the two have; it’s a very cool, straight-forward, honest and full of love and memories that always makes them nostalgic of past times.

I always noticed, as I said in the beginning, the obsession for details. I thought it brought quality and beauty to the film and made it very special. You’ve got to love the neatly way George prepares his death,  worried even about the damage his blood is going to cause to the bed.

Kenny Porter, played by Nicholas Hault, was quite a revelation for me and I can’t wait to see what he does next. The game between him and George was so sweet, simple and fun, that it would always keep me guessing the nature of their attraction: sexual or not sexual? Does he admire Falconer as a professor or as man?

The movie, unfortunately, doesn’t really give us a solid answer, but leaves it to our choice.  The end, however, is sad, but fufilling, I guess, for the main character!

It is a beautiful film that I highly recommend! It is one of my favorites!

9 comments:

  1. I haven't seen this one yet but I must check it out after reading so many positive things about it. Great review.

    ...just drop me a link when/if you do a Houdini's Magic Ticket entry and I'll add you to the hosting page list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by! I'm glad you liked it! I will give you the link tonight or tomorrow morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen this film. Which is strange when you find out that my wife was a fashion student with a first in fashion design. You would have thought it would have been high up her list.

    I am going to check it out as I can now. I do love Julianne Moore as she is always good value!!

    Thanks Aziza for writing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the comment above was from me @frontroomcinema

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry about it, I recognized you!Thanks for dropping by!Always happy to see your coments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with everything you said; the changing tones, the flawless acting, A Single Man is a seriously good movie. Too bad it didn't get the proper release/respect it deserved.

    I LOVE the shot of Firth standing in front of the giant PSYCHO poster. God, I can't wait until Tom Ford helms another flick.

    Also, can we all just admit that this is the definitive performance of Firth's career? Not what he won the Oscar for...

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you liked this, I highly recommend watching Louis Malle's The Fire Within. Ford borrows a lot of the mood from that film here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Alex: Agreed, Firth's finest performance!Thanks!

    @BonjourTristesse: Thank you for the recommendation, I will check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A truly beautiful film. I think it is Firth's finest performance also. I need to watch it again - it feels like a while since I saw it. Completely understand why it sits amongst your favourites.

    ReplyDelete