Dec 19, 2011

Senna[2011]


Senna is a 2011 documentary about the life of race car driver Ayrton Senna, one of the best and the most famous people in Formula 1 history.

The story follows the Brazilian from the beginning of his career to his tragic ending. The script takes you through all of the important steps who took in order to become the man he is known to be. From the race which he started in the 13th place, but finished in the 2nd one, to his first World Championship win in 1988, his controversy with Alain Prost in 1989, all the way through his last season at Williams, the company who was responsible for his tragic death during one of the races. Extra bit for Formula 1 lovers or, at least, for those who follow the sport from time to time: you do see the beginning of Rubens Barichello and Michael Schumacher's careers.

I must say I didn't knew too much about him beforehand, so I think the documentary showed a beautiful side of the driver and it all worked out well. Ayrton was a very strong, competitive man, but also, with a lot of faith in him. He once said "If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver" and he is right; plus, you can apply that saying in more then one context, can't you? He understood the sport, he loved it, he was the best at it and he fought for what he believed in. Anyone can appreciate that.

His unavoidable death was sad, but for me, personally, wasn't properly explained or expressed in the right way. You build up a movie like this one, you know everyone is expecting the shocking part, but when you get to it, you use 1 minute and then straight to the funeral; I was a little underwhelmed by it. The saddest moment was the funeral, when we get to see people from his life saying goodbye, his before and after relationships- it got to me.

Senna is probably one of the best documentaries I have seen. I absolutely loved the fact that they used ONLY footage of him and didn't add unnecessary shots, just background voices explaining the situation and how Senna reacted to it. The music suited the vibe perfectly and the editing was superb. I think that even for non-Formula 1 people, this can be entertaining.

Overall, it is a film worth seeing and you should watch it when you have the chance!

13 comments:

  1. Great movie, best doco of the year! Glad you saw it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, really need to see this! Hear the director talking about it at the london Film Festival. He said he wasn't that in to F1 or Senna either but was asked to direct it and found all this material featuring him fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am very glad that you liked this one Aziza. It is a truly great and very emotional film.

    Maybe a little one sided, but still there isn't a question of Ayrton's great skill as a race driver.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Pete: London Film Festival? you're a Londoner?me, too....kinda!I'm here for media studies, hopefully I will settle in and get a proper job after graduation!I loved this years' festival, can't wait for the next one! I came into this movie with some knowledge of Formula 1, but I still liked it!
    @Scott: Mate, nice to have you here! Yeah, that's what I thought, a litlle one sided, but still great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it. I recently bought the DVD - can't wait to see it again. Your points are interesting and valid. Great work Aziza. This really got to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not quite a Londoner unfortunately but close enough to get there for the festival occasionally. Went to a discussion this yr with the dirctor of Senna, Kevin MacDonald and a couple of other directors. Was very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Andy: Alway nice to have you here, mister Buckle! I'm glad you liked it, it got to me, too, especially the end, but I have to say that I expected a little bit more from it!
    @Pete: Yeah, I wanted to attend some talks, too, but I couldn't find tickets plus it was during classes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. An amazing documentary, and yeah it is fascinating to see some of those familiar faces at the start of their careers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All this time and I'm still waiting to see this! Everyone who has seen is absolutely raving about it so I'm not surprised by your review. I'm just hoping this will be available on DVD before I do my top 10 movies of the year post ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad that you liked this one! It is definitely my favourite movie of the year. I loved it to bits! Good review :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Castor: Yes, it is a good movie, but I was still hoping for more, since I read the raving reviews, as well! Still, you should check it out! Are you sure it's not on DVD? maybe online on Netflix?It's from 2010 afterall!
    @Stevee: Yes, I did like it! Your favorite?Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have heard nothing but great things on this one! I need to take the time to see it! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They just put this on Netflix ... I'm looking forward to checking it out.

    Nice review.

    ReplyDelete