Dec 5, 2011

Warrior[2011]


Warrior was an extremely pleasant surprise for me! I knew it would be good and I have read so great reviews about it, but only today I realised its greatness!

The film is a drama about two brothers separated at a young age by the tumultous relationship of their parents, who reunite after many years at an MMA tournament.

Nick Nolte plays Paddy Conlon, the sad, miserable, remorseful father, who was to cope with the thought of losing both of his sons and his wife because of his drinking problem. During the film, he is constantly trying to reconnect, to show his boys that he has changed, in any way that he can, but most of the times, the pain he caused it's too big for it to be penetrated by love.

At the beginning, where we see him sober for 1000 days, he finds Tommy, the younger brother, at his door, and soon enough starts training him for the MMA contest, while Brandon, the older brother, prepares with the help of his friend, Frank.

Tom Hardy, as Tommy, is a secluded, grumpy, tough young man, recently returned from the war, who becomes an internet sensation for his fighting skills on the ring, but most importantly, for his bravery on the field. He is messed up, permantly affected by the separation of his brother, but a fighter, and he uses that anger and will in all that he does, on and off the fight ring. He is a man of action, not words. His stubborness and the wall he build up during the war doesn't let him connect to the people around him, especially the other two men in his life, but in the end he manages to find that in a very touching, brutal way.

Joel Edgerton, as Brandon, the older brother, is a grown-up, kind man, a teacher with a beautiful wife and two daughters, trying to make a living, but failing with the bank rates; he rarely fights and only gets into the tournament just because of the money. He was the revelation of the movie for me and I think he delivered a great performance, I can't wait to see him in other movies, especially The Great Gatsby!

Observing the dysfunctional family, you end up rooting for Brandon, feeling sympathetic towards Paddy, as you wish for him to reunite with his sons, and you understand and admire Tommy. It's a messed up family, but with a good heart, one that needs a second chance. And we get our happy ending, after all, as usual!

All in all, the film delivers big time! I have to mention something that I always love and look after in movies- the Realness factor! If the story and the characters, the dialogue and sets and costumes seem real and believeable, if it is something that you can see and hear on the streets, than it's done its job, from my point of view. I connect more easily and I care more for these kind of movies, and Warrior is no exception! The direction is beautiful, the performances are just fantastic- especially Nick Nolte, who deserves a Supporting Actor nomination, and I love the soundtrack! It also had, what I call, the nail bitting factor, as I was bitting my nails so hard during the fights of the MMA tournament, hoping for a win! The action/fighting sequences are great, entertaining and well-executed!

Warrior is a great movie and it might have just creeped up in my top 10 of 2011! You should see it when you have the chance!

18 comments:

  1. Warrior is such an underrated film it's disgusting. The film has flaws no doubt, but the performances are universally excellent and the finale is excellent. I loved it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you for having seen this, Aziza. There's actually a pretty big presence of Warrior at Comic Con but unfortunately the signing w/ Tom Hardy was on the same time as the Tintin panel w/ Spielberg/Peter Jackson!! The film itself looks good, I'll definitely rent this one.

    I forgot Joel is in The Great Gatsby! Oh man I wish he had gotten the role of Tobey Maguire instead, I hope he has a lot of screen time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Max: yes, it does have its flaws, but overall it is a great movie, I really liked it!
    @Ruth: You went to Comic Con?that's amazing, I wish I could go! Love me some Joel Edgerton, as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been ignoring this one as just another fighting movie, because it seems like there's one of these every year, but from your review it sounds like I'm wrong. Maybe I will watch it afterall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, Warrior is firmly in mt top for the year!!

    You need a bit of RISE in your life Aziza. NOW!!

    Where did you see this mate

    ReplyDelete
  6. @BT: It is a boxing movie, but the characters are interesting,especially Nick Nolte. You should give it a try!
    @Scott: I know, how come I haven't seen Apes?I will, soon, promise! As for Warrior...well, I can't really say anything without incriminating myself!Bad person, I know, but what can I do, if I don't get screening invitations and the student budget is not quite enough to fuel my movie addiction? Am I in trouble?:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. No silly. I just thought I missed the launch of the blu-ray... :-)

    I am not here to judge... you are my mate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's ok Scott, but because of my bad habit I just sometimes think that a undercover cop is waiting outside my dorm, waiting to fine me or take me to jail :) ha ha!Not really, but you know what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review Aziza. The cliches are there but Edgerton, Hardy, and Nolte rise this above being just than just Rocky with MMA. It's a well-made and emotionally gripping story that brings out some real gut-wrenching moments as well as the great knock-outs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, Dan, I was so excited during those fight scenes (bitting my nails is a clear sign of it). It is a good movie, I really liked and it is in my top 10 this year, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was so surprised by this film. A poor trailer, and box office numbers in the U.S, spelt doom for this. But it is a very good film. it's just outside my Top 10, but it definitely one of the best films I have seen this year. Compelling performances, not a wasted minute, and a physically and emotionally hard-hitting drama. The characters come before the fighting - and though there are few surprises until the final fight, the ending is unpredictable and a viewer is found to be torn between the brothers. Really good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Andy: Thanks for dropping by! Yes, it was hard at the ending and I was very curious to see how it will work out, but I am happy with what they did- the good guy won and the young one learned his lesson, although it was in a heartbreaking way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice to see you loved it as much as well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. If I'm not seeing any other mind blowing movies in these last weeks in December, I guess Warrior is also on my top favorite movie this year. So sad it's underrated. Nice to see you like it as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Nostra: Nice to have you around! Have a great day!
    @Andina: I feel the same, it is in my top 10, I think so!Thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great descriptions of the three main characters. I skipped this review the first time because I had not yet seen the movie and didn't know yet if you put spoilers in your reviews. Thanks for your comment on my review. It sounds like we both liked this quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oops. I may have just confused the heck out of you with my prior post. I just posted a review of Warrior, but your comment was for my Margin Call review. I guess I had a brain cramp. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's ok Chip, I got it :) glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete