Dec 23, 2011

New Year's Eve[2011] and a bad cinema experience


So, a couple of days ago I left cold London to go to an even colder home town somewhere in Eastern Europe. I missed my friends so we decided to go watch a movie. Since you can only find action, family or comedies ones in the cinema, my friend asked to go see New Year's Eve with her, and I, being the great girl that I am, said yes.

First of all, let me just say, actually, vent about a 2 horrendous people who I met there. Before going in, I waited 5 minutes outside, reading a magazine. Next to me was a couple- normal, right? Think again- they were laughing and talking aloud whilst looking around and probably gossiping(including me); they were being simply put- jerks. After my friend arrived, we went inside and guess next to whom my seat was? The douchebag and his girlfriend. And the laughter continued and I was starting to wonder if I had something on my face or did something wrong!Anyway, I ignored them....that was until the movie started and they were talking during it, not only to each other and for most of the time, but also on the phone- yes, you read it right, on the phone! And for the most important part of the movie, during the great, intentionally inspiring speech Hillary Swank gave, they were laughing yet again!Ahhh!I just wanted to punch them so badly!

Anyway, back to the movie! As you can imagine, it wasn't a masterpiece and there were so many bad things to it, so I am just going to write down some notes I mentally took during the screening:

- Wow, this poster just gave Photoshop a new definition! So unnatural!
- This script is horrible! So many cheesy lines and predictable stories!
- Michelle Pfeifer looks rather old- it's sad!IBut I still like her!
- Zac Efron is older....and fatter....and uglier! I knew I had a good reason not to like him since the beginning!
- Seriously, how many celebrities can you fit into one movie?
- Is it just me or is Jon Bon Jovi a pretty decent actor?
- Oh yes, Seth Meyers is on screen- that is where my money went to! Thank you! (did I ever tell you I love SNL?)
- If only I had a hot (well, ZE isn't, but you get my point) delivery guy who would be willing to make my dreams come true....
- Even Ryan Seacrest showed up; I like him, you got to admit the guy is charming- perfect TV host
- Oh my goodness, Sofia Vergara is so adorable and sexy...and pretty funny!
- Why is Lea Michele's character named Elise? she is obviously Rachel from Glee!
- Ok, can we skip the De Niro, Swank, Dushmel parts? 
- Oh yes, Seth Meyers, Jessica Biel and the magical vagina are back on screen- and are making me laugh! Thank you!
- This fast paced, storyline mixing situation is getting weird. It doesn't have consistency, I get confused sometimes, especially when they start connecting the characters, always trying to figure out who was with who! Let's just get it over with!

And then, after a great, extremely predictable ending scene with Raise your glass on the background, New Year's Eve was over!

The End!

Final thought- recommend or not?
The boys will probably hate it or think it's too cheesy for them!
The girls- hmm, well, it's funny in some parts+ you have a lot of celebrities! Give it a try on DVD!

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review Aziza. I was pleasantly surprised that I actually enjoyed myself with this flick, even though I do feel like Garry Marshall didn’t really try to do anything with all of these stars instead of just have them show up and do something. Still, a fun film that is a crowd-pleaser for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, Dan, it was enjoyable, although I thought there were too many stars, they could have focused more on some of them, it would have made the movie better!Thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate shit like this, people that don't shut the hell up during a flick. Me being me, I have no problem whatsoever telling person(s) to shut up, if they don't, I'll tell a theater employee to kick them out or give me my money back.

    At least they didn't laugh during parts of SHAME... which happened to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually don't bother with people like that, I try to ignore them, although one time, durinh HP&DH1, I was sitting next to a woman who was actually telling her bestfriend what was going to happen in the next scene; after the first half of the movie I had enough and told her off- she replied, but stoped afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy crap, that's a bad experience! I cannot believe that people act like that in a cinema! It is beyond rude and just plain arrogant! I can only imagine the amount of strength it took to refrain from knocking out teeth!

    On to the other train-wreck now, NEW YEARS EVE. I haven't heard one good thing about it and don't think you'll be catching me checking it out...even on DVD.

    One thing that upsets me even more is that this movie probably still made money!

    Thanks for the good review, Diana.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Russell: Yeah, you should't see it, there are a lot more better ones out there! Of course it made money, so many stars in it...it's like asking why Transformers made money- same shit, different genre!

    ReplyDelete