Yesterday I had the luck of getting in to see 50/50 after I patiently waited in line, whilst talking to some lovely press people who, apparently, have to do the same if they want to see a movie.
Let me just start by saying that 50/50 is a great movie, every part of the magical process of film making doing his job at the top level.
Firstly, and most importantly, Joseph Gordon-Levitt is fantastic as the young man who discovers he has cancer. For me, it was the best performance of the year so far, ahead of Ryan Gosling in Drive (I haven't seen Shame or Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, so bare with me). The way he portrays his character, what it is going through, all of the emotions, it is wonderful, funny, yet sad to watch. I couldn't find a single flaw or say something wrong about him, because JGL was very real, I could understand and believe him. I really do hope he gets an Oscar nomination for this and he probably will.
Secondly, the script was particularly interesting and lovely, as it had so many funny elements intertwine with the sad ones, but in a suitable way. The writer knew when to throw a couple of jokes and when to just let it go on the silent, melancholic vibe. There were a lot of funny lines there (mostly of Seth Rogen) and I loved the reaction of the audience in the theater- I think everyone loved it. The characters developed along the way and the end, although predictable, was still sweet and rewarding.
Few tidbits I loved whilst watching:
- soundtrack (why do almost all the JGL have an amazing soundtrack? see 500 days of summer, Inception etc)
- weed macaroons scene- the trio is fantastic together
- very original cheating scene- script and acting wise; Seth, Joseph and Bryce killed it!
- it almost had me crying at one point - which rarely happens with me
- nice surprise by Anna Kendrick- considering she started in Twilight, I think she has a bright future ahead of her, if she will continue choosing parts like this one
All in all, I loved this movie and I really hope you will see it soon!
Now, off to see Restless! Busy weekend for me :)