Aug 3, 2012

Liebster award



Yesterday the lovely Ethan from A reservation at Dorsia (I love the name, BTW) and Margaret from Cinematic Corner [and now Iluvcinema] passed the Liebster blog award on to me. So now it’s my turn to tell you some things about me and answer Ethan's and Sati's questions. Here are the rules of the blog-a-thon:

Each person must post 11 things about themselves.

Answer the 11 questions the person giving the award has set for you.

Create 11 questions for the people you will be giving the award to.

Choose 11 people to award and send them a link to your post.

Go to their page and tell them.

No tag backs.


11 things about Diana

1. I try to avoid as much as I can Horror movies- I have probably seen maximum 5 in my life. Blame Chucky, the killer doll, for this absurdity. [I watched it when I was like 7 and I couldn't sleep for 3 days after it]

2. I can't really explain why, but I just can't stand Jennifer Aniston, she annoys the hell out of me; some goes with Blake Lively.

3. Chocolate- my drug, in any shape or form. The longest I've lasted without having it? probably a week

4. I went through a very long phase (aka crush/obsession) of Backstreet Boys mania- hey, don't laugh or roll your eyes, I was 8 or 9. Nick Carter was my idol :)

5. I am a very lazy, rather static person. Me, in clubs every night or walking for days? hiking? sports every week? neah, not my thing, sorry!

6. As much as I am into indie and alternative music right now, I can't refuse a good R'n B song- this week's choice: Frank Ocean- Thinkin about you

7. Considering I write a movie blog, you would be shocked and horrified by the number of classic, must see films I haven't watched....YET!

8. Confession: I never understood the fascination about Lord of the Rings trilogy- why do people think it's the best thing in the world? it's not, it really isn't! Best Picture winner? really? *prepares to hide from the avalanche of tomatoes coming her way*

9. Most of my day is consisted of me daydreaming- I waste so much time imagining things and hoping for miracles or unrealistic situation to happen, it's beginning to annoy me. Is there a cure for that?

10. If I could adapt a book into a movie or mini series, that would be East of Eden by John Steinbeck- fantastic story with a level of character development that just amazes me, and I love character development in films.

11. I have never paid for 1 movie and went to see 2. I want to do- is it tricky to do? any tips? :)




Here are Ethan's eleven questions for me:

1. Which do you prefer: Foreign films or english-language films?
English- language films: I think knowing the language and understanding, first hand, what they are saying, without reading the subtitles, makes you understand and feel the story better

2. Black & White or color?
Color. As much as I like the magic and uniqueness of black&white, color is very important to me.

3. Has any film changed the way you look at something? If so, which one and what did it change?
Hmm..interesting question, I don't know, I don't think so, nothing comes to mind now!

4. What part of the filmmaking process interests you the most?
Scriptwriting, directing and casting, in that order, the first being the most important.

5. Have you started working on creating your own films?
I have several script ideas, I just haven't started yet- I really should, though, very soon

6. Did you discover film on your own or did someone expose you to it?
It's hard to explain, but let's just say that my film passion, the one that drove me to start a blog, started recently because of my viewing of A Streetcar named Desire.

7. What’s your favorite genre?
Probably drama, or something like Little Miss Sunshine or Juno, which is a mix of drama and comedy, from my point of view

8. Do you just enjoy watching films, is it actually a career path that you want to pursue, or do you already work in the film industry?
It's a career path that I want to pursue

9. When a novel is adapted to film do you read the book before watching it or vice versa?
If I am interested in both, I always first read the book, then see the movie, for me this makes much more sense than the other way around.

10. What do you think is the most powerful creative medium? Why?
What do you mean by creative medium? if you're talking about the best place to work or one that can influence your creativity flow, that could be anywhere- sometimes I get inspired on the tube or at a coffee shop, but honestly most of my ideas come at night, before going to sleep, or when I daydream, which I do a lot.

11. What’s the best use of music you’ve ever seen in film?
Recently, I've been fascinated with scores and orchestral music, I've been noticing it more often. The best example I can give, the one that pops up in my mind, is the typewriting piece or piano sounds from the Atonement score- if you've seen the movie, you know what I am talking about. It's rather original and interesting.


Here are Sati's questions:
1. What is your favorite movie scene?
Hard to say, there are so many, but one that I always remember and somehow, with no particular reason, affects me, is the burn scene in Fight Club, when Pitt's characters burns Norton's hand and gives him the big speech about life and loss. Brilliance right there!
2. Your favorite performance?
Again, I don't have a favorite one, but I love Michael Fassbender in Shame, and I was shocked by how good Hillary Swank was in Boys don't cry, and I would also add Vivien Leigh in A streetcar named desire to the list
3. Movie character that is most similar to you?
Hm...interesting! I really don't know, I would probably be the supporting character, maybe the best friend or something :))
4. Favorite movie quote?
Sooo many: "I'll make him an offer he can't refuse" (Godfather), "Nobody's perfect" (Some like it hot), "Your mom scares me" (Almost Famous), "It's only after we've lost everything that we are free to do anything" (or something like that- Fight Club)
5. What is one movie where you would change actual director/actor/actress for someone else?
I can't remember anything specific, but just to give a recent example, I would change Cody Harn in Magic Mike with someone else.
6. What is the first film you saw?
Wow...I can't say for sure, but probably Beauty and the Beast or Dirty Dancing :)- both at home, on VHS
7. Would you change any character's fate? If so, whose and for what?
Nedd Stark in Game of Thrones- he died too soon
8. Your favorite track from movie soundtrack?
A tie between "Cell Block Tango" from Chicago and "I've had the time of my life" from Dirty Dancing
9. What book would you like to see adapted for screen?
Like I said before, East of Eden by John Steinbeck
10. Favorite guilty pleasure movie?
Cry Baby, with Johnny Depp
11. Favorite trailer?
Shame- the song helped build up a tension that is so palpable and breathtaking that I am always overwhelmed when I see it

Here are Iluvcinema's questions:
1. LOTR or Harry Potter?
Harry Potter, no doubt about it!
2. What’s the longest you have waited in line for a movie?
Hmm....I'm not the premiere type, so I don't know, probably 30 minutes, if it was really crowded
3. Have you ever fallen asleep in a film? If so, which one?
Never in cinema...maybe at home, when I was very little, but I usually don't fall asleep or give up a movie, I try to watch it all, even if I don't like it.
4. What was your first concert experience?
First concert? that's a tough one! I think it was a local festival with three local bands, it was pretty good, I don't remember that much.
5. If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be?
Again, a no brainer: NEW YORK CITY! it's been a dream of mine for a long time
6. Any hidden talent(s)?
No, I don't think so....I don't know
7.Subtitles: Yea or Nay?
I am totally ok with subtitles....sometimes I even chose English subtitles for an English movie just because it helps me understand better and get all the dialogue
8. What book would you like to be seen made into a movie?
Like I said before, East of Eden by John Steinbeck
9. What is the first thing you would do if you won the lottery?
Settle on a sum and give it to my family, help my parents with their payments and everything
10. Have you ever snuck into a film without paying for it?
No, but I want to do it soon :D
11. What is your favorite silent film?
I haven't watched a lot of them, but I really liked City Lights, by Charlie Chaplin

My 11 questions:

1. What's the song that you keep listening these days (the repeat curse)?
2. The last film you saw in cinema? 3 words to describe it please
3. Childhood crush?
4. Think of a soundtrack of a movie and tell me the best song from it, one that you still listen, years after you've seen the film
5. What's that one genre of films that you usually don't watch?
6. If you could adapt a book into a movie or miniseries, what would it be and why?
7. Tell me one actor/actress that you would be starstruck by (imagine you walk in a Starbucks and you see him/her 2 feet from you- possible reaction: eyes wide open, legs shaking, suddenly it's hot in the room)
8. If you could recommend a book to your readers, what would it be and why?
9. How would you describe a perfect (or close to perfect) script? what are they key elements it should have?
10. Favorite British actor/actress?
11. What did you have for lunch?


I know a lot of people already got the award, some even from different sources, so it is hard for me to transfer to 11 new people, but what I am really interested is in your answer of the questions. I will nominate some blogs, but anyone can answer them, in my comment box or on their blog, I would love to read your replies anyway. Here are some of my choices:

Ruth from "splendid and lovely"

Nikhat from "being norma jean"

Margaret from "cinematic corner"

Ruth from "flix chatter"

Stevee from "cinematic paradox"

Anna from "defiant success"

Liam from "underwood uncut"

Alex from "and so it begins"

SDG from "U, me and films"

Alex Jowski 

...and so on!

Like I said, no need to do everything all over again or ask another 11 people, just answer the questions! :)

23 comments:

  1. Thanks Diana!

    I love dramedies too. And that Atonement-typewriter thing was amazing. And eugh Blake Lively. Haha my best friend will love you, she loved Nick Carter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick Carter was amazing back then....BSB mania was like Bieber fever now :)

      Delete
  2. I can never understand why people don't like the LOTR trilogy, it has everything that anyone could want, with heart to boot. It is a shame that you don't like it, but we all have our personal preferences.

    Thinking About You is a tune, though. Frank Ocean's channel ORANGE album is excellent, and I am glad he included that song on it which he originally wrote for someone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't knew he wrote it for someone else, I'm also glad he put it on his album. Please feel free to answer my 11 questions, if you want to, here or on your blog, the invitation is open to everyone. Thanks for taking the time to comment

      Delete
  3. Great post Diana!

    "Or do you not think so far, aheeeeaaaaadddd."

    Christ, that is a perfect song right there. Love Frank Ocean.

    I get that it’s hard to find 11 fresh blogs to nominate. I did indeed have the fortune of doing my post a few days ago, but I’ll answer your questions here!

    1. What's the song that you keep listening these days (the repeat curse)?
    There are three: “Thinking About You” by Frank Ocean, “Concrete Angel” by Gareth Emery, and “Intro” by M83.

    2. The last film you saw in cinema? 3 words to describe it please
    The Dark Knight Rises was Pretty. Fucking. Badass.

    3. Childhood crush?
    Amy Jo Johnson, the Pink Ranger. Love of my life.

    4. Think of a soundtrack of a movie and tell me the best song from it, one that you still listen, years after you've seen the film
    Boogie Nights is large in part to thank for my fasciation with Motown, disco-ear music. The best track from it? Impossible to say. Go with “Got to Give It Up (Part 1)” by Marvin Gaye.

    5. What's that one genre of films that you usually don't watch?
    I'll watch anything, but most musicals do nothing for me.

    6. If you could adapt a book into a movie or miniseries, what would it be and why?
    George Pelecanos’ The Night Gardener is as perfect a crime thriller as I’ve ever read. He’s a popular, well know author that is well established in the entertainment industry. I have no idea how that movie hasn’t been adapted yet.

    7. Tell me one actor/actress that you would be starstruck by (imagine you walk in a Starbucks and you see him/her 2 feet from you- possible reaction: eyes wide open, legs shaking, suddenly it's hot in the room)
    If I saw Marion Cotillard in a Starbucks I would pass out and die. And die happy.

    8. If you could recommend a book to your readers, what would it be and why?
    Bret Easton Ellis’ The Informers, because it perfectly speaks to my favorite style of writing.

    9. How would you describe a perfect (or close to perfect) script? what are they key elements it should have?
    A camera movement or piece of music can move me in ways I cannot articulate. So can a perfect cut in editing. And it’s not just about being moved. They can make me laugh, cry, appreciate – you name it. If a script can do that, then it’s a winner.

    10. Favorite British actor/actress?
    Daniel Day-Lewis/Kristin Scott Thomas.

    11. What did you have for lunch?
    Haven’t had it yet, but I brought a homemade vegan wrap with tempeh and roasted vegetables. And some zucchini bread that I baked last night. Epic shit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the fact that you can describe your vegan lunch as epic :) thanks for the answers

      Delete
  4. Thanks for tagging me, Diana, how very sweet of you! I'm not into horror movies either and I just don't have any interest in watching them at all. Ha..ha.. no derision on Backstreet Boys from me, when I was about 14 or 15 I was so into New Kids on the Block, Jordan was my fave but now I can't even bring myself to even listen or watch them, it's soooo cringe-worthy!

    Great set of questions here, I'll do my best to answer them, thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone has a childhood crush, interesting to see yours is NKOTB, it's close to BSB! can't wait to see your answers!

      Delete
    2. Hi Diana, I hope you won't mind doing another award post, I tagged you for the 7x7 Award http://flixchatter.net/2012/08/08/award-season-is-upon-us-7x7-liebster-blog-awards-that-is Don't worry though, it's mostly a promotion post for your blog :)

      Delete
    3. Hey Ruth! thank you so much for the award, it means a lot. Please don't be upset, but I already received it a couple of months ago and I responded to it with my posts, and I really don't think anything new can be added since then! I hope you don't mind, I really do appreciate it

      Delete
  5. Love your answers! Shame trailer is so good, one of my favorites. That Fight Club scene is one of my favorites too - "It's only after we lost everything we are free to do anything"


    I'm gonna follow Alex and answer here too :)

    1. What's the song that you keep listening these days (the repeat curse)?
    Most of TDKR soundtrack and Off to the Races by Lana del Rey

    2. The last film you saw in cinema? 3 words to describe it please
    TDKR absolutely effing incredible

    3. Childhood crush?
    I had a crush on Dicaprio back when he wasn't fat in Titanic

    4. Think of a soundtrack of a movie and tell me the best song from it, one that you still listen, years after you've seen the film
    I listen to so many soundtracks it's hard to say, but If I had to choose - Tub Scene from Out of Sight

    5. What's that one genre of films that you usually don't watch?
    Musicals

    6. If you could adapt a book into a movie or miniseries, what would it be and why?
    Master and Margarita, because it is amazing and deserves proper adaptation.

    7. Tell me one actor/actress that you would be starstruck by (imagine you walk in a Starbucks and you see him/her 2 feet from you- possible reaction: eyes wide open, legs shaking, suddenly it's hot in the room)
    Idris Elba, good thing he wouldn't see how much I'm blushing since he is so tall and I'd need to be on a ladder for him to see me

    8. If you could recommend a book to your readers, what would it be and why?
    American Psycho, because it's scary, funny and disturbing at the same time.

    9. How would you describe a perfect (or close to perfect) script? what are they key elements it should have?
    Well written characters and good chemistry between them

    10. Favorite British actor/actress?
    Michael Sheen and Tilda Swinton

    11. What did you have for lunch?
    Just coffee :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the Idris Elba answer :) I'm sure he'd notice you somehow, don't worry

      Delete
    2. Yep, during restraining order hearing in courtroom, for sure :)

      Delete
  6. Yay! I completely agree on the Lord of the Rings trilogy and that Atonement scene. Though, I don't see what's so great about films like Juno and Little Miss Sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by! If you want to take a go at the questions, please be my guest, it's open to anyone!

      Delete
    2. Ok, I'll play.

      1. What's the song that you keep listening these days (the repeat curse)?
      Like Alex, I'm going with three: "Yellow Halo" by Goldfrapp, "Raconte-Moi Une Histoire" by M83, and "Some Nights" by fun.

      2. The last film you saw in cinema? 3 words to describe it please
      The Dark Knight Rises - Epic, Breathtaking, Brilliant.

      3. Childhood crush?
      Hilary Duff, aka Lizzie McGuire.

      4. Think of a soundtrack of a movie and tell me the best song from it, one that you still listen, years after you've seen the film
      American Graffiti is one of my favorite soundtracks. Best song - "Rock Around the Clock" by Bill Haley and The Comets.

      5. What's that one genre of films that you usually don't watch?
      Documentary. I watch less than five a year on average.

      6. If you could adapt a book into a movie or miniseries, what would it be and why?
      City of Glass by Paul Auster. It's an entertaining, at times strange, postmodern detective story, and I love detective stories.

      7. Tell me one actor/actress that you would be starstruck by (imagine you walk in a Starbucks and you see him/her 2 feet from you- possible reaction: eyes wide open, legs shaking, suddenly it's hot in the room)
      Juliette Binoche. I don't know if I'd die, but I might have to be taken to the hospital.

      8. If you could recommend a book to your readers, what would it be and why?
      80 Years of the Oscar by Robert Osborne. A must have for anyone who follows the Academy Awards.

      9. How would you describe a perfect (or close to perfect) script? what are they key elements it should have?
      A perfect script should keep me reading, whether it's through interesting characters, plot revelations, or camera movements. It has to be creatively appealing in some way.

      10. Favorite British actor/actress?
      Gary Oldman/Tilda Swinton

      11. What did you have for lunch?
      Umm…haven't eaten lunch yet. Probably a pop tart or something.

      Delete
    3. Nice answers, thanks! I'm not a big documentary fan, either, or let's just say, I rarely watch them!

      Delete
  7. God, Thanks Diana !! Great Post. I will try to answer your questions soon. My Laptop was acting up. Took me whole damn day to get it working right.

    How can you not like LOTR ?? :D But seriously, in my opinion Tolkeins' imaginations is what stands it apart and Jackson put it on screen exactly the way I imagined it. His execution is epic, grant and even then it never lost its touch with viewer. Thats why both book and movie work for me. Thanks Again !1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see your answers, but take your time, no rush, I know how it is to have problems with your laptop, I hope it will work soon

      Delete
  8. Awww, thank you Diana!
    But...but, I love the Lord of the Rings trilogy! Wahhh!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and don't worry, not everyone hates LOTR, i'm just one of the few who don't!

      Delete
  9. Hey! Thanks! I'll get to answering these 11 questions sometime this week.

    ReplyDelete