Nov 21, 2011

Double post: Margin call&Let me in

Margin Call


Margin Call premiered last winter in Sundance, but is suddenly gaining momentum during awards season and is apparently aiming for some of them, mostly in the acting department; and they should, because it delivers big time.

I would call this movie a performance one. The actors feel like giants in a world of finance, and you barely notice the other details- music, direction, sets, script- nothing, just them. Everyone, from Zachary Quinto and Penn Badgely (the newbies) to Jeremy Irons and Kevin Spacey, is perfect and play the part in a realistic, no bullshit way. The last two stand out and are in the race for supporting nods, which they rightly deserve. Special mention to Paul Bettany who is great, not amazing, in this movie, but I love him to death, he is one of my favourites.

All in all, an enjoyable movie that you should give it a try!

Let me in


Let me in is a remake after a Swedish film, about a young boy who starts an unlikely friendship with a young  female vampire.

I especially liked the two leads, Kodi Smit-McPhee and Chloe Moretz. There is just something special about him; maybe it's his face, his fizonomy and gestures, his awkwardness, but I think he will grow up to be a very good actor. Owen, the character, is sweet, smart, but lonely and missunderstood. That is when Chloe Moretz's character comes in and develops the strange friendship. Their conversations are slow and  sweet, but what else can you expect from 12 year olds? I love the scene when he asks, without actually knowing what it means "will you go steady with me?".

I can't really say the horror element has there, as I wasn't scared in any moment, but it had some dark moments. Over all, it is a good movie, although it wasn't mind-blowing.

6 comments:

  1. I really want to see Margin Call, glad to hear it's a solid film, Aziza.

    As for Let Me In, I'm not into horror so I don't know if I'll ever see it. I've heard great things about it though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth, Let me in is a good movie and, like I said, it doesn't really fit into the horror genre, you should give it a chance! And yeah, check out Margin Call, is good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margin Call looks pretty cool, I am looking forward to it!!

    Let Me In is ace... I still need to see the original!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margin Call was quite good - nice call.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @SCott: I haven't seen the original Let me In, either, but I heard this version is better!
    @Sam: Yeah, Margin Call was surprisingly good, I liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can only reiterate what you've probably read in the comments of picknmix' review. I agree with you, the acting was the best thing about Margin Call, the dialogue kept me interested, even though there was nothing here that struck me as groundbreaking news that hadn't already been discussed in the oscar-winning doc on the financial crisis "Inside job"

    ReplyDelete